PENANG MALAY JOBBERS PATCH UP WITH GUAN ENG
GEORGE TOWN: The Penang Malay Contractors Association has openly apologised to Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng for making an earlier statement that the state government had sidelined Malay contractors.
In a joint press conference here, the association president Datuk Mohamed Fadzill Hassan expressed regret for his previous remarks. He then retracted them.
He urged the state government to reconsider the list of 46 Malay contractors that the state had blacklisted for alleged poor job performance.
“We want to reconcile and work together with the state government to solve problems,” he said at the Chief Minister’s office yesterday.
Lim, who was present, said he accepted Mohamed Fadzill’s apology and explained that the state had never blacklisted any contractors.
“We just want to make sure that all contractors chosen must be competent and not cronies of any party.
“I hope we can start afresh on a healthy relationship that is based on facts and not emotions, albeit three years late,” he said.
Lim also said the state had always emphasised quality, delivery and sound performance.
“Only the best is chosen (through open tender process). Previously the contractors had apparently gone through Umno division heads.
“We want to make a paradigm shift now and I am sure that our Malay contractors are the best in Malaysia as I have seen their work,” he said.
Mohamed Fadzill had, on several occasions, blasted Lim over the distribution of projects to Malays contractors and had accused the state of not being fair in the process.
8 JANUARY 2011 - SATURDAY